As the nights become cooler I am reminded that fall is right around the corner. The smell in the air reminds me of orange, brown and yellow leaves, crisp, cool air, sweaters and my favorite boots, apple picking, fresh squash… yes, fall – my favorite time of the year. This homemade pumpkin spice latte and coffee syrup may have a lot to do with it though. A homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte and some of my uncle’s famous cornbread with whipped pumpkin honey butter is just about one of my favorite things to wake up to!
I love this syrup for a few reasons: First of all, it’s all natural. Nothing but pumpkin, sugar and spices here. I like knowing exactly what’s in my food and I get to skip all the chemical fillers and preservatives! It’s so easy to customize your drink when you make your own syrup too… some morning I want just a hint of pumpkin spice flavor and some days I’ll use two tablespoons or more for a sweeter treat. I use the syrup in tea as well, for a less caffeinated fix.
And let’s just talk for a second about how much money this saves! A Pumpkin Spice Latte can run you upwards of $4.00 a cup. For that price you can have weeks worth of this syrup! And I don’t have to leave the house for it. That’s my favorite part honestly
Making this syrup is simple and will only take about 10 minutes, then keeps in the fridge for up to a month. When you’re craving a pumpkin spice pick me up just stir a tablespoon or two into your hot coffee (or tea!) and enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix. You can also use fresh roasted and pureed pumpkin!)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- a small jar or container to store your syrup
- Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan.
- Allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the syrup coats the back of a spoon.
- Allow the syrup to cool.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve or a piece of cheesecloth into a small jar.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- To use, just add it to hot coffee. I use about a Tablespoon personally but use more or less depending on your tastes. To make a latte add 1 Tablespoon of the syrup to six ounces hot milk and 3 ounces of espresso or very strong coffee.
For a real treat I top my coffee with whipped cream and sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, and then just sit back and sip it while I dream of falling leaves and hayrides!
What’s your favorite fall treat?